Moving, and Moving Again :D (A New York City Common Experience)






I've just completed my moving from my former space up in Inwood to Chinatown, both in Manhattan, or a distance involving over 200 blocks. I've observed myself that I'd like moving bit by bit, rather than doing it all at the same time. All I needed to do is to decide if I'm moving finally, which maybe due to some circumstances beyond my control. My latest moving was due to the owner's decision to have my former place renovated, and get sold eventually. I would have wanted to buy it for myself, but I think there will be better opportunities to come, in time. It's actually an ideal place for starter families, as it's spacious and in an area where you'd see a lot of families who are just starting to build their families, and it's still in Manhattan, though it's way up there in the so-called "upstate Manhattan" that most maps exclude as it's not touristy enough. It's a wonderful place to live in, even though some neighbors can be loud, noisy and intimidating at times, as they'd like to create noise for whatever reason that fancies them at any point in time. Yet, Inwood, despite its distance from Midtown, remains to be a lovely place to consider to stay and starting one's life, given life's circumstances, here in NYC. You'd be close to wonderful parks, including the Fort Tryon (I've heard from friends you'd feel like you're not in NYC when you visit this park, as it's unlike most parts of the city, and I agree for the most part with them) and the Cloisters (make sure you visit this extension of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as it's worth all the trouble going all the way to Inwood from Manhattan's Upper East Side location of the main museum), plus Inwood Hill Park itself (where the legendary story about the real estate selling of Manhattan island to the Dutch supposedly took place from the Lenape Indians). And people there look like they live low key lifestyles. You'd have to consider whether to live on the east side of Broadway or the western part of it. The eastern portion looks bleak than those parts found in west, actually.

But I had to be moving, and this time, I've got the opportunity to live in a tiny room with 5 other people in century old building along East Broadway in Chinatown. The location's actually along the borders of the Lower East Side, and Chinatown. You'd notice the buses making their stops to pick up passengers for their destinations outside of the city. In addition, you'd come face to face with some conservative looking Jewish dudes in their fascinating outfits. You'd also also notice a big number of retired New Yorkers of diverse nationalities, ensconced in their condo or coop units somewhere in the peripherals of the this side of the city. My observations on these retirees have convinced me that NYC's a great city to retire in, than choosing to live outside of the city come retirement time.

Where I'm staying now is an ideal location for people who are not scared of following their own dreams, despite what you see on the surface, and despite aghast looks from your well meaning friends. Just check the faces and outfits of those you see riding the trains on this part of the city. Everything seems to be changing fast in this new location. It even included a most recent fire a block away that gutted part of at least 2 old, perhaps, century old buildings, that were also tenement housing as well just like what I have, and that of a branch of the Hong Kong Supermarket. To think that I was there in the morning, trying to buy, among other things, brown bread but I could not get as most people in the area prefer to eat white and other fancy kind of sweet tasting breads and baked goodies. When the fire was taking place, nobody among my roommates panicked, as all of us just stayed in our rooms and decided to sleep in out while the noise of the firemen trucks' siren raged, and the smell of burning building seeped into the air. It was windy, and I decided to close my window as the smell was turning to be unbearable. I was already half asleep when my fone rang which came from a friend who was concerned about my situation but laughed aloud after I told him I was fast asleep ready to wander in my dreams for the evening, rather than venture to wet my curiosity to check what's the fire all about. I would have wanted to do that, as I even checked online, but I could not see anything from the sites I sought out. No TV checks were made, as I got no TV set myself.

But the more interesting development has been this opportunity to move again. This time, it's in Staten Island, somewhere in Stapleton which is at least a 5-minute short bus ride from the ferry. This is one lovely suburban looking location in the most suburban borough of NYC. It's going to be a trade of my services in exchanges for a huge room where I can have more space. Lady Liberty on her island will be in my view almost everyday, as I go about completing another move to this part of NYC. I'm definitely on the moving-out mood again. I'll just do it again, bit by bit, no matter how tedious the process can be. Other developments will still take place; I'm setting myself for a new chapter again in my endeavors in leading a purposeful life here in NYC. Who knows exactly what's in store for me, this time (except, for God's most unknowable plans that unfolds now in his Spirit through other people I've got in my life, both in the realms of the online and the actual)?

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a very positive, forward looking person and we can all learn a lesson from you.

I will also be moving, albeit in a year or so back to Tokyo. I am already laying the groundwork for my move. Perhaps one day you will tire of the US and come back to Japan where you once lived, and we can be neighbors!?

God be with you in your new move.

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?