Coke Commercial - Philippines



I remember this ad to be last Coke ad I've seen on local Philippine television prior to my leaving for the US in the start of 2nd quarter of 2006. It has that certain quaint appeal that's not difficult to miss. Of course, it's a TV commercial, and an apparently, very effective marketing material at that, without trying too hard, but a bit sweaty pie-ish in delivery (sigh! what can I say about good looking people who are smiling a lot, enthusiastically, and with lovely looking eyes from those joining the crowd, and the smooth flow of moments in this brief ad!)...I could be not among its targeted audience, but I nevertheless can sense its alluring quality. I also know from my knowledge about Manila that this ad was shot somewhere in Binondo, or Sta Cruz. 

Being a Tagalog tutor in a country other than the Philippines, I can see some other special things about the use of Tagalog in the ad. And in this analysis-of-a-response, I understood something in Tagalog, and I'm describing my experience in English, which is a fate common to people who have learned to communicate at least in 2 languages. For me, it conveys the special power of the language in delivering the social context where it's supposed to have taken place.  It looks very natural, but I just have a feeling it's a bit inappropriate within the current state of what I imagine the Philippines could be in now (I've been away for over 2 years, so I would not really know for sure, & this ad was made over 2 years ago). Some may say it's elitist to some extent, or somehow it denounces or even highlights the differences among the socio-economic classes, as may be seen apparently (i.e. upper class, upper middle class, lower middle class, the lower classes) from the way someone uses a language in this case to convey a lifestyle most of us may want to aspire to emulate and to lead others in the process.  But for those of us involved one level of awareness or another in this ad, we are just having good, clean, well deserved fun, amidst everyday challenges.  It's not even being sentimental; but just being happy in its free flowing style of depicting what's happening in a few local street scenes.  People in there remain just cool.  It's that lightness of quality of leading a life back in the Philippines.  And on the other hand, there's apparently not that strong & very aggressive display of ideological differences in the views of people back in the Philippines---which could very well be why there are problems in certain areas.  But I'm getting that far. This ad was pretty well crafted. We got the message, didn't we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?