American Adobo

I'm reminded by a hasty remark by a friend of a friend whose family have lived here in the US for the past 25 years.  She got so surprised at the idea of me teaching Tagalog on tutorial basis. She didn't ask about other details, but from the look of her eyes, she found the idea so disconcerting.  She's also from the Philippines, and their generation still speak the kind of Tagalog that's deep and respectful in tone (you'd know they speak their Tagalog in that particular manner by their age, certainly....noted for being deferential, kinda slow, & reserved); unlike the Tagalog that I've always known to be "Taglish (Tagalog & English combined or some say "conyotic"---don't know how to put the right N, if you know what I mean)," clipped and fast, without the "ho, po, opo, oho," & in a style that's notably as being from Manila as described once by a dear Visayan friend who remarked that Tagalogs speak Tagalog with a different twang.  I didn't realize that, but I know some people get disturbed somewhat. I'm just happy this Caucasian-looking guy nevertheless, goes about talking in Tagalog with an American English twang....which sounds funny and cute.  But this twang can still be remedied, by constant practice, that is if the speaker would really like to work on it.  As it is, it's great to know some Americans, like my students, are really interested to learn this language that's spoken by one of their former colonies at the start of 20th century when the US was still active in pursuing its imperial ambitions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?