Why Is an HP Call Center Agent Not Allowed to Speak Tagalog? (What kind of customer service is this?)

Last night, I happened to be watching TV, and heard in the background the remarks being made by a friend who was talking with someone on the phone. The person on the other line happened to remark in the affirmative that "he's from the Philippines" and my friend casually pointed out what his experience with previous call center agents that "they're not allowed to speak in Tagalog" [wanna learn to speak Tagalog? click here] even if the customer (who in the case of my friend) happens to speak Tagalog. My friend whom I've known back in the Philippines wanted to seek help on certain problems he's been encountering with his recently brought HP Laptop.

I could not help but say: "That's stupid!" I've heard this thing happened before, and I'm posting this blog just to express my disgust over this practice. Yet I'm curious why exactly? I should have asked my friend to ask the agent the reason behind the policy (are they actually "agents" or "customer service people"? Please advise me as well on this, for those who happened to be working with call center companies anywhere logged on reading this; thanks!!!). [Or is it because these agents performance are being in measured by their abilities to speak in English?]

Going back to my friend, I remember he was made to wait for the next 15 minutes or so, as I realized I was almost done with my TV watching of the program of David Letterman. And I still could not fathom why these agents are not allowed to speak Tagalog when they happen to be talking with Tagalog speaking agents. I have heard, though from my friend, while waiting for him get connected to the right fellow in another office of HP located in different country. He was soon talking with a fellow whom he asked if he's from India or the Philippines.

Now, why is it better to allow those who do this work to speak in the language that both parties can use more appropriately to tackle, and clarify problems? It's as basic as "losing something in the translation," period. I don't want to believe that those who make this kind of decision in HP or some other call center companies as bigoted enough to just consider sticking it out to speak in English all the time. They must have figured out that talking in one same language would be effective for their business. Of course, I've known that there are service centers that deliver their services in other languages other than English. But still, it's more effective when you connect with people when there's an understanding at least on the emotional level, which is best done when parties are using the same language.

But yet, who is actually fooling who from this kind of experience? From my experience, I would usually know if I'm talking to someone from the Philippines, or at least someone staying there. I would usually know if I'm talking from someone in India, or perhaps some similar places. It's best to be talking in a language that has more appropriate expressive words just to better define what is exactly being talked about, or discussed between people who don't actually see each other. Something is actually lost in transit, so to say. And it's maddening to hear that the agent on the other line is gagged from talking in a language that would make the sharing of support more free flowing, fluid, and more natural. Come on, people know this right away when they know they speak a common language. It's not because of failure to appreciate that language, as a communication tool, works better when commonly understood and spoken by both parties. Still, it's not actually what I suspect to be a scheme to just keep a certain language more prominent in business usage than other languages these days. There could be something more behind this standing policy on using English even if both parties can speak in more comfortably in another language, or if the situation appropriately calls for it.

And actually, it's also good to know that call center workers, i.e. those who talk to customers, are able to speak other languages. It's always frustrating to know that one is just limited to one language, which goes against the very nature of how things are taking place in changes the world over.

Just a rant, this time! Whew!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?