Musings on the Song "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" As I Move On


I heard and watched a young white man with short hair and with his ukulele singing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" over the weekend in one of my subway rides here in NYC. I couldn't help but give him some change from my bag; the others willingly obliged, too. He deserved it; he was an enthusiastic performer just like the rest but he looked refreshingly different from the typical performing, hungry artists we all meet and see in the subway system (who are more out to harass us in our rides). I heard him say that he's saving for his summer tuition in college; he must be really working hard just like the rest of us here in NYC.

Then I remember one of my dear friends, as we were watching to a live, on-stage rendition, with piano accompaniment, of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in one of those bars cum stage along the edges of Times Square. My friend, a musician composer from Juilliard, said "She's great! She's a real singer!" as I saw him wiping tears that welled in his eyes. I actually didn't know what to say with that (he would commit suicide many more months after that night out). The song didn't really personally appeal to me, then. It's loaded with so much emotional baggage that didn't really mean much to me then. But I've always known it's one difficult song to sing, unless you're able to feel it as you sing it. That version I heard from her started with lines different from what Judy Garland had in her movie "The Wizard of Oz."

Then, I remember another good friend with whom I'd chat with over life matters. She's struggling to make ends meet and has just moved back to NYC after a few months' gig in Florida. A close relative of her is in the hospital back in the Philippines and needs constant dialysis. She's still not getting any full time job so far. I can only wish I can do more to help her. Years ago, her beloved teenage daughter was murdered --- I would not want to relate the details as they're horrendous! Then I remember my own daily struggles, which if compared to her pale in comparison. I can only wish I can move on as fast as I'm able to with what life throws my way. Another friend remarked last night over a conversation that "we can't be asking for pity from others or else we'll quickly die. We gotta do what we have to do" when he was struggling with pain from tiny stones in his urethra. That remarked jolted me back to my thoughts on moving on.

Yes, whatever situation I have now will be gone soon. I got to face and take every moment of my time now and be in charge as I take steps to move on. As they say, it's not always that bad as it seems (smiles!).

Here's that classic Judy Garland version, by the way, in case you've haven't heard about "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"


Here's Rufus Wainwright with his version:


And lastly, here's Jeff Beck rendering his version. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?