Ever Been to the African Burial Ground National Monument in Downtown Manhattan?



Other than the 9/11 Memorial, another burial ground monument has to be seen and visited by curious travelers who may have lots of time in their hands. Above are pictures I hastily took from my camera when I happened to pass by Chambers Street in Downtown Manhattan during one of my gigs. I recall reading about this burial ground, which for many years was were covered by older buildings that were demolished to make way for the burial ground and to become opened again to light that has covered it for many years until 1991. There's a museum, which I've yet to visit right inside the building standing next to the cemetery, and where you can probably read more about the burial ground. The place looks mysterious to me and I got a feeling I was connecting with the spirits of those African slaves (and probably the earliest emancipated freed slaves then) whose remains were buried and found in this burial. Check what the site's all about in this link (where you can also get the actual location details) and schedule a visit to check what you can experience during your trip.

I took the pictures The pictures have been taken years ago. I think our spirits continue to move on even after death. And the dead continue to send messages, somewhat, somehow in their own ways. How else can you explain the re-discovery of this burial ground, which has been covered by landfill and overgrown by development when its location was identified by experts. I recall reading about this burial ground from 'Gotham: A History of New York to 1898' by Edwin G. Burrows and Mike Wallace but didn't realize that there's now a monument above it that virtually saved from it from being totally forgotten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?