On the 'Moving On' aspect of Patricia Nell Warren's 'The Front Runner'


I happened to discover again a copy of this book recently, which got me into thinking about my experience when I read it when I was still in high school. Those periods were certainly made up of heady days for me. And I recall now how one of the protagonists of this novel has gone on coming into terms with the unexpected death of his student-lover (if I recall it right, he was shot by someone who's against gay people who bravely out themselves in public---correct me if I'm wrong with this). But I still remember that this book definitely made a strong impression on me during those years. I recall that someone who I know these days to be a known medical practitioner in the Philippines read this when we were in high school. He was my senior and surprised me by seeing this book in his hands as he read them during those years. That certainly got me thinking a lot of things about him. But it doesn't matter anymore; a lot of events have passed by, which would mean 'we've all changed since then.'


The Front RunnerThe Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Offhand, I like this better than "The Fancy Dancer" of the same author. And if ever there was a book that got me into reading more about gay literature, this is the book that got me into my search for the definitive gay novel - if ever there was such a work that could come to mind to readers like myself of the genre. I recall reading this book when I was still in high school after I discovered it from the shelves of the Philippines' leading bookstore (National Bookstore). There were certainly other books of the same genre, but this book caught my fancy due to the illustration on its front cover.


I recall having totally enjoyed reading details about the love affair of a closeted sports coach and his student (who fell over heels upon meeting his coach but didn't display it at once -- the coach must have sensed it, based on my recollection now, but he couldn't cope well with the very strong physical attraction between them, hence he made things very difficult between them). I don't remember much about the details of how the story went about but I remember how sad I was about the death of the student ('The Front Runner'). But all these sad details were soon overtaken by the ending where the Coach was shown having started moving on from the memory of his dead student/lover.


And it's important to my mind that the one who wrote this happened to be a woman, which somehow gave the book a different perspective and with a mellower treatment. I don't mind being called 'sexist' just because I pointed this out, but there's a huge difference if it's a man who's writing about gay love affairs - I'm claiming this from having read other books of the same/similar genre.  I think there's more emphasis on giving descriptions on what's graphically sexual plus more focus on the genitals when a gay novel (with mostly gay male characters) is written by a man. Women writers seem not to be focus on these areas based on what I've read todate.


Looking back, I don't think I'll actually be reading novels like this these days (unless there are strong reasons, e.g., if I personally knew the author). But it's important we have books like for all curious readers like myself. Books such as these serve as sort of great bridges to use in one journey when crossing over to life's other wider and colorful avenues; they're also great previews on what's in store for individuals with different sexual preferences.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?