Invictus (William Ernest Henley)

(one of the most memorable poems I read way back high school days---I remember our class in "Christian Living" being tasked to "disassemble" and "make sense" and more of something from this poem. But I recall snatches of what got me into thinking more: I have felt something solemn, truthful, courageous, and strong from reading, & rereading this poem, and have understood these traits are guiding posts on how to best lead a more fruitful, purposeful life.... and I just chanced to see it somewhere beneath the reams of the pages of Facebook; the wonders, indeed, of today's social networking! Thanks!!!)


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

dyerohmeb said…
thank you. appreciate that :D

Popular posts from this blog

Some Annoying Scam of a "GMAIL" Message Telling Me That My Email Address Will Be Deleted! The Nerve!!!

On Airplanes, Airports That I Love Going To......

Where Do I Start Moving On From The Tragic Demise of A Very Good Friend?